Qustion: Are there the same diatoms at 12 inches of the core as 24 inches?
Materials: 6 slides and slide covers, toothpick, core, and water.
- Get materials.
- Measure 1 foot down and 2 feet down and take sample with toothpick( Not too much).
- Put it on the slide with the cover on top.
- Examine under scope and find what kinds of diatoms at that depth
- Repeat process except at 2 feet instead of 1 foot.
Variable changed: depth of sample.
Variable measurred: kinds of diatoms
Controls: time observed, observer,amount sediment, microscope, amount of water
Conclusion: The answer to our question is yes. There are some of the same diatoms at 1 foot and 2 feet. We found #4's, #22's, and # 8's at both 1 foot and 2 feet. We also found some different kinds in 1 foot and 2 feet. Some diatoms that we didn't find at both depths in the lake core are #20's,#5's, and #16's. #20's,#5's, and#16's were all found in 24in.
2 Further Questions:
- How many more diatoms are at 20cm. or 40cm.
- Why was there some of the same diatoms at 24 in. and at 12 in.